Truth claims for everyone!

Sunday, April 02, 2006

dinner with the Archer and the Eagle



I first met the four lovely gentlemen of the Archer and the Eagle at a venue called The Exchange in Regina, Saskatchewan. My band Captain was playing our farewell show, before we moved to the west coast. We had the pleasure of playing with TAATE, as they were on their first ever prarie tour. Right from the moment of meeting them, both bands seemed to just hit it off. Since moving to BC, we've had the pleasure of playing a show in their hometown, and getting to make waffles for them on their way through town. Today I got a call that their van had broken down just outside my town, and they were looking for a place to hangout until their van was fixed. So Andy, Drew and I drove down to meet them for some Wendy's and some good times. I pulled out a pad and paper, and did a quick little interview with the boys. Here's the goodness:

Jamison: Who are you?
Matt (Guitar/Vocals): I'm Matt Watkins, and i play in a band called The Archer and the Eagle.
J: How old are you, Matt?
M: 22!
J: Tell me about your show this weekend.
M: It was alright. There were a good amount of kids, which always makes a show better.
J: So all the guys are ordering food, what are you going to get?
M: A Junior Bacon Cheeseburger, and a Baked Potatoe. No, TWO Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers.
J: Your show with Minus the Bear is coming up pretty soon. You must be stoked.
M: Yes. They are a very good band, and the show is on the 14th in Kelowna, so you should be there. It's going to be awesome...amazing, and probably the best thing that anyone has ever done.
J: Oh i'll be there.
M: ...that's not a question.
J: Fair enough. One last question, why name your EP the "Ice Cream Social EP"?
M: Well, we couldn't think of anything better. It seemed happy, and everyone loves ice cream right? Except maybe people who are lactose intolarent.
J: So, Aaron just finished getting his food.
Aaron (Bass/Vocals): Hi, how are you?
J: I'm alright. So why are you in Chilliwack again?
A: I'm here for the crap smell in the air.
J: Yeah there are alot of farms around here. Speaking of which, if you could live on ANY kind of farm, what would it be?
A: A soda pop farm.
J: Could you describe your role in the band in only five words?
A: 1)I
2)Write
3)Really
4)Good
5)Music
J: If you could play with ANY band, who would it be?
A: (with no hesitation) The Get Up Kids. That's easy.
J: Which venue would it be at?
A: Ummmm...atlantis?
J: What are you doing tonight, want to come swimming?
A: I would, but i have to move tommorow.

Sad that Aaron wouldn't be joining our swimming fun, i moved on to the collective of Matt V and Jesse.

J: Let me start off with a really deep, philisophical question: Why?
Jesse (Drums): Why not?
J: Good answer. What are you guys drinking there.
Matt (Guitar): Fruitopia.
Jesse: Sprite.
J: Quick, who's your favourite band of all time!
M: The Getup Kids!
Jesse: (after much deliberation) Neutral Milk Hotel.
J: What would you say is your favourite music video?
M: That video by the Bronx, where that guy is rapping? You know?
J: Yeah, i think you told me about it.
Jesse: There are so many. I'd probably say "Untitled #1" by Sigur Ros.
J: Oooh, that's one of my favourites too. So i read this Myspace bulletin survey thing, and one question was, "If you could reunite any band, with all living members, who would it be?" What do you think?
M: Clever. They were a local band.
Jesse: Refused.
J: I said At The Drive-In, but Refused is good too. Hmmm, i'm running out of decent questions...Who would you say is your favourite band out of Alberta?
Matt and Jesse: Choke.
Aaron: Choke
Matt W: (to Aaron) You liked Nikola Tesla more than Choke?
Aaron: No, that's why i answered Choke.
J: I said Nickelback. But what do i know. Here's a good one: If you could describe yourself in one Internet lingo acronym, what would it be?
Jesse: LOLercaust. Like Holocaust?
J: Yikes. Alright, and for one final question, what is your all time favourite movie.
Matt: The Truman Show!
Jesse: I have so many favourites, ummmm...
J: Quick, just the first one that comes to mind.
Jesse: 21 Grams!?
J: I haven't seen it, but that works.

After the interview, we had ninja swordfights with plastic swords, and had huge hugs in Wendy's. Do yourself a favour and check these boys catchy as heck music. It will make you tap your toes.

TAATE on MySpace

Alright kids, i hope you enjoyed that. If you like this kind of stuff, let me know. I know like EVERY band ever, so interviews won't be hard. That was a joke by the way. ANYWAYS, i'll see you all tommorow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was my favourite thing ever, Jamison. I laughed, I cried. It was beautiful. Especially the lover of The Get Up Kids. I have a feeling that guy and I are secretly kindred spirits.

Tracey

Anonymous said...

this interview probably didn't even happen... man my eyes are bright right now?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Latest Additions.

  • Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
  • My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
  • Ra Ra Riot - Ra Ra Riot EP
  • Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  • The National - The Virgina EP